I turned 31 last week, and although I honestly cannot believe I'm 31 (I still feel about 19), I'm okay with it. Birthdays always make me reflective as well, in a positive way. I take them as an opportunity to make goals, take stock, and just generally review my life and the things I know.
I wrote the first incarnation of this list of my truths several years ago in college. I had just turned 24. I have revised it a few times since then, and discovered new truths. I revised it again for this birthday, and these are the things I know...
1. There is a God.
2. Serotonin is tricky.
3. Hope is good.
4. While risky, real relationships are infinitely more rewarding than the passionate love affair you have created with Mr. Darcy.
5. Hearts break. It hurts. A lot.
6. Heartbreaks heal. Eventually. Give them time.
7. Superheroes don't exist. Heroes do.
8. The warm weight of a dog on your lap is therapeutic.
9. There is nothing wrong with self-esteem.
10. A person's heart is truly what counts; in beauty and otherwise.
11. Solitude is okay. Alone and lonely are not the same things.
12. Friendships are to be highly valued.
13. Kissing is very often seriously undervalued.
14. It's okay to cry.
15. It is not a weakness to ask for help.
16. Being in love kicks ass.
17. Love is not enough. Life is not a Disney fairy-tale.
18. Learning to respectfully disagree is important.
19. The world is big.
20. Lipstick should change with the seasons. Or with you.
21. It is okay to trust people.
22. Hobbies are important.
23. Words are powerful. Metaphors are not to be trifled with.
24. One should never be without music. Hum if you must.
25. Who you are now should place no restrictions on who you could become.
26. A mother's love, real and powerful, is a force. So too, a father's. This is true no matter how different the two may appear.
27. Sisters make the best friends.
28. It's okay to take chances. Sometimes they don't work out. That's okay, too.
29. Everyone should have a signature -- a color, a phrase, an accessory -- just don't overdo it.
30. Everyone is at least a little unique.
31. Life is made up of moments. Some epic, perhaps, but moments just the same. Embrace them. They are yours.